- 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use;...
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
Mr. Heater Big Buddy Review – Features
- Automatic low-oxygen shut off. While propane heaters are incredibly effective and heat up rooms fast, they usually need plenty of ventilation to compensate. Thankfully this heater senses when the oxygen levels are getting low so you can rest easy and not have to guess when you think carbon monoxide levels might be rising.
- Accidental tip-over safety. Another great feature, if the unit begins to tip or somehow manages to fall over it will auto-shut off. This can actually be more common than you might think and has happened to people before. This small feature is a must have in any garage.
- Wall mounting. The heater has a few key holes on the back so you can easily mount it on the wall and get it out of the way.
Does it Heat Well?
This small heater is very portable and very effective. It will heat a 400 square foot room in approximately 10 minutes (on its’ high setting). Compare that to 30 minutes or an hour that it takes an electric heater.
Usage time varies depending on the size of propane tanks you have/use and how often you plan on keeping it on. A single pound propane tank generally lasts about 5 hours on it’s high setting, so you could probably stretch that to 10 or 15 if you kept it on low.
If you use a 20 pound propane tank you could literally use this heater for at least 2 weeks with high amounts of usage, and for normal to lesser usage you could probably make that into a month or more.
With this heater, heating your garage or cabin for the winter season will not disappoint. Not to mention just how much money you’ll save by simply using a portable gas garage heater over any electric heater.
How Long does a Portable Heater Battery Last?
The battery option actually isn’t for heat, only the fan. So just to clarify this is heated with propane only – the battery only powers the units fan.
The Mr. Heater is so close to perfect – very portable, rugged, effective, efficient – but it’s not quite there. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a thermostat, rather 3 temperatures (High, Med., Low). That is easily overlooked though, because you really don’t need anything more than those 3 to heat your space.
The only real con comes with the fuel source. The smell of propane is sometimes apparent (although not always), though this is common with every other portable propane heater on the market. When compared to others this unit actually has significantly less of a propane smell, but for those who are easily bothered you may want to opt for an electric garage heater.
The Mr Heater big buddy heater is our number 1 choice for propane and best portable space heaters. It’s extremely portable having a rugged design and allows the use of smaller propane tanks. It’s incredibly efficient and affordable, having fuel that can last for days and days, and most importantly it’s extremely effective – heating up to 400 square feet in anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes.
Add on all it’s safety features and this is the best propane garage heater for indoor use (and honestly the only best propane garage heater I feel can be used for indoor only). The price is definitely right for this unit, coming in at what I’d say is quite low for all the features it has. I recommend checking the current price and seriously considering this little propane heater for your garage or workshop.